Wednesday, August 18, 2004

The origins of Jo Atman

It's a pseudonym evolved over time. I wrote my first short story in the bygone days of silly idealistic, nihilistic youth, and signed it as Jo Atmon, which is an acronym for Jack Of All Trades, Master Of None.
Unfortunately, fate sent me to SUNY, Buffalo to get a master's in EE, and I had to give up my Master of None title. I was, undertandably, Jo Atmos for a while, before someone misspelled my original pseudonym as Jo Atman, and it was an epiphany. Atman is the sanskrit word for the individual soul, and Jo(e) is the common American term for Mr. Average. Combined, it stands for the individual average soul.

personally, the eerie silence of a blog is very unnerving to me. I'm reminded of the catch-phrase
from some sci-fi/horror flick - In (cyber)space, no one can hear you scream. Not too different from the oft-asked question, if a self-obsessed egomaniac writes about himself in cyberspace, and no one reads it, does he exist?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

DAmn it! Or rather Damn I.T!
There I was, doing a bit of this, a bit of that. Thinking I'd best formalise it all, go into business. Ready to paint it on my little (almost geriatric) van, so I was. Had to be a trade name, came up with a beauty... JO ATMOS! Or to be honest JO ATMON. Why, oh why did I have to find ya :)

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home