Monday, August 23, 2004

On Planes, Trains And Automobiles

Planes: I don't know what it is about being in airplanes that gives me a sense of euphoria. Maybe it's the altitude, although I know the altitude doesn't affect me - physiologically, that is - in the least, since i'm in this pressurized chamber. Whatever it is, when I'm in an airplane, my limitations seem unable to haul their leaden asses up with me, and consequently, I'm in this anything-is-possible state, and I make detailed plans for being the best I can, short of joining the army, of course. Unfortunately, my limitations seem to have found an equally fast, ground transportation which means they are ready and waiting at the airport to greet me with open arms when I land...

Trains: As a young boy from a family with modest financial endowments, trains were my personal hypnotists. The rhythmic beat of the wheels moving from one section of the track to the next, with the accompanying echo effect of wheels following suit in the subsequent bogies could keep me entertained for hours. That was probably the main reason that my ADD kicked in only in adulthood :)
Honorable mention also goes to the illusion of tracks coming in under our train and then going out to meet neighboring tracks ad infinitum.

Automobiles: Now I drive a Jeep in suburban Dallas. After driving for six years in different states and cities, I have formulated the "Laws of Vehicular Attraction":
Law #1:
There exists a repulsive force between every car's front and the preceding car's back bumper, which means every time you drive faster, the car in front is pushed forward by this repulsive force, which makes it seem like the car in front has increased its speed.

Law #2:
There exists an attractive force between the sides of two cars adjacent to each other. Thus, when you try to overtake a car, this attraction pulls the car being overtaken ahead too giving the illusion that the driver of that car is speeding up either consciously or subconsicously.

Law #3:
The conventional wisdom that if you keep a safe distance from the car in front of you, you'll have more time to react is complete and utter illusion. Every person I've seen who keeps more than a safe distance is actually paranoid, and the moment the car 500m in front brakes, the safe-distance-person brakes immediately, and completely.
Corollary to law #3:
When you're in traffic with cars in front and cars behind, it's better to be closer to the person in front a.k.a tailgating, then staying behind and letting the person behind you be closer to your back bumper. That way, you're in control of the situation thusly:
If the car in front brakes, it's upto your reaction time and skill to brake and avoid collision. In the conventional wisdom, if the guy in front brakes, and you brake, you're letting the person behind you be in control, because if he's in the middle of an enchanting conversation on his phone, or too busy taking out the goshdarned onions from his whopper, you can say goodbye to your behind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home